Sitecore Acquisition of Hedgehog Development
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is being announced?
Sitecore has announced its intent to acquire Hedgehog Development.
Q: Who is Sitecore?
Sitecore is the global leader in digital experience management software that combines content management, commerce, and customer insights. The Sitecore Experience Cloud™ empowers marketers to deliver personalized content in real time and at scale across every channel—before, during, and after a sale. The company has more than 1,100 employees, operates from more than 20 offices worldwide, and is trusted by thousands of brands to manage their interactions with customers.
Q: Who is Hedgehog?
Hedgehog is a high performing, customer-focused digital consultancy that offers strategy, design, consulting, developer tools, and managed cloud services, as well as the market’s preferred suite of tools that improve Sitecore development, deployment, and usability. Hedgehog was founded in 2007 by Dan Galvez (CEO) and Peter Madsen (CFO) and today has ~80 employees. The company is headquartered in Holbrook, NY, with offices in Portland, OR, Charlotte, NC, Sofia, Bulgaria, and Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Q: What does the combination of Sitecore and Hedgehog mean to the market?
Sitecore’s goal in acquiring Hedgehog is to bolster the resources supporting our partner community and our customers as we continue to grow and introduce new market offerings.
Q: What does the Sitecore product portfolio include?
Sitecore’s core products include:
- Sitecore Experience Manager™: Sitecore’s market-leading WCM system.
- Sitecore® Experience Platform™: a modular, open platform that delivers robust content and commerce management at scale, contextual intelligence down to the individual level, and omnichannel automation to deliver content to any channel and device.
- Sitecore Experience Commerce™: the only cloud-enabled software platform that empowers commerce marketers and merchandisers to fully personalize the end-to-end shopping experience.
- Sitecore Content Hub™: connect the entire marketing department with integrated marketing resource management (MRM), digital asset management (DAM), and product information management (PIM) capabilities that enable marketing teams to own the entire content creation and production lifecycle.
Q: What does the Hedgehog services and product portfolio include?
Hedgehog’s professional services capabilities span strategy, design, consulting, and managed services. In addition, Hedgehog is the creator of the widely-used Team Development for Sitecore Essential Suite of products (including TDS Classic, Feydra, Razl, and Avtor), which reduce deployment time, help ensure alignment to Sitecore best practices, and improves productivity and usability for Sitecore content editors and strategists.
Q: Why is Sitecore making this acquisition?
Primarily, Sitecore has acquired Hedgehog to extend our ability to serve customers—through our partners—from strategy to implementation. In particular, the addition of Hedgehog’s services capabilities and developer tools reinforces Sitecore’s strategic position as a trusted advisor who is integral to the delivery of gold-standard deployments and can help customers solve their most critical digital transformation challenges. In addition, Sitecore will be able to scale-out the programs and resources that provide more robust capabilities for Sitecore’s customers and partners, including:
- Increased scale of Sitecore Professional Services and SBOS: Hedgehog will add significant expertise to immediately broaden the capabilities of Sitecore Professional Services and SBOS as well as augment Sitecore Solution Partners’ design, strategy, and implementation services. This will help customers speed deployment time, minimize unnecessary costs, and overcome complexity in their IT environment.
- Expanded developer tooling: Hedgehog is the creator of the widely-used Team Development for Sitecore Essential Suite of products, which help reduce deployment time, improve productivity and ease implementations for Sitecore Solutions. Sitecore intends to incorporate these tools more deeply within its product offerings. In particular, partners and customers will benefit from greater access to TDS Classic, which reduces deployment time and helps ensure alignment to Sitecore best practices, and Avtor, which improves productivity and usability for Sitecore content editors and strategists.
- Enhanced training capabilities: to rapidly accelerate Sitecore Solution Provider Partners’ time-to-proficiency and simplify the path to become Sitecore experts on newer product offerings, Hedgehog’s product implementation expertise will supplement Sitecore’s education and certification programs to train, mentor, and support partners on Sitecore products, starting with Sitecore Experience Commerce™ and, longer term, Sitecore Content Hub™.
- Strengthened partner enablement programs: Hedgehog adds to Sitecore’s capacity to enable partners across geographies, particularly in areas including improved documentation and training on best practices.
Q: How much did Sitecore pay to acquire Hedgehog?
Sitecore is not disclosing the financial aspects of this acquisition.
Q: When is Sitecore’s acquisition of Hedgehog expected to close?
The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to close in June of 2019.