Volvo: A digital-first approach to simplify and improve consumers’ lives
Founded in 1927, Volvo Cars is one of the best known and most respected automotive manufacturers in the world today. In 2017, Volvo sold 571,577 cars in over 100 countries and launched more models than ever before, with global sales rising by 7% from 2016, driven by growth in all regions.
Volvo is currently going through a digital-first transformation: The Digital Experience Initiative. The goal is to deliver 20% of sales from online channels to support the company’s wider mission—to simplify and improve the consumer’s life. It also ties in with Volvo’s broader marketing goal to position and establish Volvo as a global luxury brand. To achieve these goals, Volvo partnered with Sitecore.
Delivering an agile, innovative, and efficient digital experience at the global scale has already begun to pay off. In 2017, Volvo’s total web traffic increased by 31% and 48% more consumers used the car configurator online tool. Their mobile site was named “best-in-class” by the L2 2018 Automotive Digital IQ Index report, and the brand moved from number 22 to number 7.
- Position Volvo as a global luxury brand
- Simplify the customer’s digital experience
- Provide unified customer journeys across channels
- Improve content and deliver it at scale and on time
- Provide best-in-class mobile experience
- Produced a consistent buyer’s journey across the 93 countries Volvo serves—offering browse, configure, and purchase all online
- Created a content delivery platform able to deliver content across 93 countries at the time of launch
- Created a feature-rich mobile site with over 300 images, from one with 10 images
- Created new experiences like car configure and digital showroom
- Sales up 7%
- Web traffic up 31%
- 50% of consumers know what car they want when they walk into a dealership
- Moved from #22 to #7 in the L2 2018 Automotive Digital IQ Index report
- Moved up 29 points to #16 in J.D. Power’s biannual Manufacturer Website Evaluation Study’s overall index, and made significant moves in desktop led by content (+27) and navigation (+42)
Platinum Solution Partner
Avanade is a Sitecore Platinum Solution and Hosting Partner with a global team of 27,000+ professionals includes digital strategists, designers, and services delivery experts. Their deep expertise includes delivering marketing content management (WCM), analytics, marketing automation, web optimization, and mobility solutions.