Dine Brands Global streamlines online ordering, increases revenue
IHOP and Applebee’s Grill + Bar are iconic American brands of Dine Brands Global, one of the world’s largest full-service dining companies, franchise-run with approximately 3,700 locations in over 18 countries. The restaurant business—with its thin margins and stiff competition—has never been easy. It’s even harder today because the market is mature; one of the only ways to gain share is to win it from competitors or through incremental sales from initiatives like online ordering. Applebee’s online ordering was spread confusingly across three different websites, depending on the access device. Slowdowns on high traffic days made frustrated consumers give up, causing revenue loss. IHOP offered no online ordering at all.
Dine Brands moved quickly to reclaim its industry leadership as an innovator by giving customers what they want: the right menus, great service, convenience—and an exceptional omnichannel experience delivered through Sitecore.
Dine Brands has operated on the Sitecore platform for close to a decade and knew that Sitecore brings the robust capabilities needed to reinvigorate the Applebee’s and IHOP brand online ordering capabilities. The restaurant company began by upgrading its website and Sitecore licenses for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Sitecore partner XCentium assisted with this project, which became a springboard for digital transformation.
Today both Applebee’s and IHOP run their websites on this common Sitecore platform. It’s easy for customers to order online—no redirection to different websites, no confusing variances in look and feel or performance slowdowns. The solution scales easily to accommodate high-traffic events and television advertising, enabling increased revenue. Franchisees benefit from a corporate resource that supports their operational efficiency and customer satisfaction.
- Create a omni-channel experience for customers
- Reinvigorate Applebee’s and IHOP brands online ordering experience
- Win market share from competitors in mature market
- Build customer repeat business, loyalty
- Provide online ordering directly within Dine Brands’ website
- Simplify Applebee’s online ordering for off-premise dining
- Create IHOP online ordering capability
- Scale website to accommodate high traffic events and television advertising
- Delivered year over year revenue increase from online sales both in terms of revenue and number of orders
- Provided advanced online ordering capabilities for all devices
- Eliminated need to send guests to separate ordering portal
- Increased repeat customers and online sales
- Applebee’s: bounce rates down 22%; sessions up 31%; average session duration up 41%; pageviews up 67%.
- IHOP: bounce rates down 7%; sessions up 35%; average session duration up 17%; pageviews up 67%
Platinum Solution Partner
A full-service digital consultancy, XCentium focus on user experience, content management, commerce, CRM and Cloud (Azure and AWS) and assist clients with their entire digital roadmap and implementation. XCentium has one of the most experienced digital and Sitecore teams in North America: 4 Sitecore specializations (Customer Experience Platform, Commerce, CRM, and Mobile), 5 MVP awards for 2015 and 2016, and multiple Sitecore Experience Awards.